Friday, April 15, 2011

Historic Home Tour

Our house on the day of the tour in 2009

The Atascadero Historical Societies Annual Colony Home Tour is almost here! April 30th from 1-4pm you can see 5 beautiful homes built between 1916 and 1927. Each home is uniquely different and this year is no exception! If you love old homes and seeing how people decorate them, then take this tour. The cost is $20.00 per person and includes refreshments at one of the house locations. You can purchase tickets at the Atascadero Historical Society House or (I think) through the Chamber of Commerce. 

2 years ago we were asked to be on this tour. Our house was built in 1915 by the F.O. Ingstrum Company as a home for the contractor who was sent here to build our towns City Hall and Printery which are about 2 blocks away. We have been lovingly restoring it for the last 7 years, taking on projects as we could afford them, and doing every bit of work ourselves. It had been a dentist office and a preschool previous to our ownership and the dentist office had removed some of the original detail work and changed the layout of the house. We started fixing, and then found out that I was pregnant with our little girl. Talk about great motivation to finish all of our projects around the house! We finished painting our living room/dining room and got carpet throughout the house 3 days before my daughter was born! We still have a wish list to do, but we love how it turned out. When I am at the shop, I get asked all the time what my house looks like inside. So this is the living room and dining room, picked up and ready to go. Keep checking back, I will be posting the rest of the house as well!


This is the view as you enter the front door into our living room. 


The picture wall as you walk in through our 4 foot wide front door  (I would have hated to be the guy who had to install this baby. Solid wood = HEAVY!)
View from Dining room looking into Living Room.

The glass on the light over our dining room table was out of my Grandma's old house and was rescued by my mom when they were tearing it down. The fixture that holds it was from a friend. It fits together perfectly, some things are just meant to be!

My pottery collection. Looking at this photo I am realizing how much more pottery I have now than I did 2 years ago. I think I like to shop, hmmmm...

Being on the home tour was loads of fun, and we learned a lot of interesting things about our house from people who had been former residents, or their friends who had visited our home in their youth. 

The tour is on the same weekend as the Remnants of the Past show (more on this wonderful show coming soon!) so if you are looking for an entire weekend of vintage goods, fun, and historic homes, this is it! Have a wonderful Friday!

2 comments:

  1. what a great home. Thanks for sharing. Wish I could see you at Remnants this time, but unfortunately I can't make it. Have fun!
    xo Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is gorgeous! And to think that you live right around "the corner" from me! I'm torn because my mom and I will be at Remnants of the Past on the 30th, but I would also love to come tour your love home! I've so enjoyed stopping in to Vintage and chatting with you...and commiserating about hubby's who lose their wallets! :)

    ReplyDelete