Sunday, February 5, 2012

Vintage Reads

desiretoinspire.net


So I have to say that seeing Taylor Swift looking through old books at the Flea market got me thinking. What is the draw, the fascination? Someone as well off (okay, let's face it, she's a multi-millionaire) as Taylor Swift would be at a flea market looking for vintage books and would then exclaim "jackpot!" when she found them. Why? What is it about old books that are so intriguing? 
I know I am obsessed with them, I love their old worn covers, the way the edges of the pages are sometimes ruffled. The roughness and thickness of the paper not seen today in our modern books. 
Sometimes it is the covers that are threadbare but still have embossed print or have beautiful pictures stamped or pressed on. 

I love reading the text, so simple and sometimes so elegant all at the same time.
The names of the stories are always funny to me. Some are so wistful, some corny, some utilitarian. 

But most of all I love them grouped together. 

alkemie.blogspot.com



Lately I have been able to find a bunch of book sets. They are so beautiful. I am always amazed that something made of paper can last 100 years and still look brand new.  They can make a shelf look gorgeous just by lying around or being used as a riser for your favorite piece of pottery. 

What is your draw to old books? What do you do with them, and is there a certain type that you collect? Oh, and speaking of books, we will have tons of new ones coming in to the store soon, a bunch about Paris, some fun cookbooks, and some great decor books for those of you looking for a little inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment