Sunday, May 15, 2011

Little Girls = Little Stuff EVERYWHERE!

 So my daughter is almost 6, and this week in preparation of her birthday party which is going to be a circus(literally), I decided to redo her bedroom, something that sane people typically don't do. But I live somewhere between Crazy and Certifiable so I decided to rip everything out of her cupboards, shelves, and the dreaded closets. Did I mention I will have company here in less than a week? Yeah...I might regret this.
The contents of the closet cascading into her bedroom...what was I thinking?
When our house was on the Home Tour my baby was only 3 and her room looked like this:



We called it the Princess Suite (for obvious reasons), everything was Cinderella and she loved it!

But then she said she wanted to change her room :( and it took on a few other looks, none photo-worthy. Trust me. 
We said good bye to the kitchen set and we got a new cabinet to store her toys in which changed the feel and layout of the room. It was really starting to bug me when I would look in her room and nothing seemed to work so I started planning and then collecting items to re-work her room. It's not a total redo, my husband refuses to paint her room (not until she begs anyway), he says he really likes the color of the walls as they are. Her room is lacking in natural lighting, with one window on the shadiest side of the house and colors in here are a real challenge. That and if I tackled re-painting the room this week, I think I would be paying for a divorce instead of a birthday party! 

So here it is after the re-do:
Walls are still the same pale pink (Ballet Slipper from Martha Stewart, I think) see what I mean about weird lighting though? Trim is Ultra Pure White from Behr. I went with all white bedding, it just seemed to calm it all down, I have to admit I am a bit worried about it staying clean though. I guess that is what bleach is for!

I added 2 nightstands, both from Vintage Etc. to either side of the bed and the lights were like $12.00 each from Ikea! (I love that store! Wish we had one closer.)
I have been collecting vintage prints of fancily (is that a word?) clad ladies for months, and the florals...yeah, I had them ALL! 
The storage unit that started all of this, only $100 on Craigslist! I am going to put pleated linen behind the glass insets to cover the clutter that little girls seem to hoard, maybe I will do that tonight. Hmmm.


Another floral and the cutest hummingbird figurine...also from Vintage Etc.
A mirror that I received after from my grandmothers house after she past away, I love how all the mirrors reflect pretty things on the other side of the room.
See what I mean?

The 1970's wood and gold light fixture that I spray painted and added beads, rose petal lampshades, and crystal to.
The armoire that holds a little bit of everything. I got the suitcase at a yard sale this weekend for $4.00, it is metal and a bit rusty, but so cute! And the lamp, I found at the dump, yes the dump, I admit it but I just love how the crystal shade throws light on the wall. 


 Well what do you think? I finally love her room again and most importantly was her reaction when she walked in. She "just looooves it!" Now onto that circus I am planning! Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic!! What lunatic would take that beautiful lamp to the dump? Great job as always...

    ReplyDelete