Friday, May 4, 2012

Sometimes you gotta stop...

Sleep, Baby, Sleep... 








Today in the shop a young couple came in with a very little puppy on a leash. I mean a teeny, weeny, little puppy who apparently was a miniature dachshund. It also had apparently not taken it's nap during lunch like the couple wanted it to and instead was being a bit wild during their meal. Well as they were walking through the store they stopped to talk to me and asked a price on an item in the back of the store. I went back to look for them and almost stepped on a very tuckered and completely fast asleep puppy curled up on the floor. He was no bigger than my two hands put together and didn't even flinch when I stepped right next to him! 

I thought about that little puppy for the rest of the day and just how easily he conked out when he needed a rest, right there, where he was, he stopped and listened to what he needed to do, and did it. It reminded me of my own children when they were little and how they would do the same thing. So what is it that makes us change? What makes us stop listening to what we need to do to take care of ourselves and get some rest? Instead we hurry through each day checking off our TO DO lists and only giving half our attention to too many things. Why? When did cramming more into our day become the norm? 
At the store we carry a pillow with the saying "Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life." I love the sentiment, sometimes we really do need to slow down, enjoy where we are, and take a rest. I have one in my front room, it never ceases that I will be stressing out about something that could have been avoided had I said "no" to it in the first place and I will look over and there is that pillow. Sometimes a little fluff can make you take pause...

It just goes to show that some of our most precious visitors don't have much to say but can leave a lasting impression all the same! Have a wonderful weekend, I'm sure with the beautiful weather we have been having, your days will be filled with a long list of items that you have been meaning to get done (just like me.) Just don't forget to stop, enjoy those that are precious in your life, and "rest" a little bit too!





No comments:

Post a Comment